SystemRescueCd is a Linux system rescue disk available as a bootable CD-ROM or USB stick for administrating or repairing your system and data after a crash. It aims to provide an easy way to carry out admin tasks on your computer, such as creating and editing the hard disk partitions. It comes with a lot of linux software such as system tools(parted, partimage, fstools, ...) and basic tools (editors, midnight commander, network tools). It can be used for both Linux andwindows computers, and on desktops as well as servers. This rescue system requires no installation as it can be booted from a CD/DVD drive or USB stick, but it can be installed on the hard disk if you wish. The kernel supports all important file systems (ext2/ext3/ext4, reiserfs, btrfs, xfs, jfs, vfat, ntfs), as well as network filesystems (samba and nfs).
System and Networking Guides
In addition to the SystemRescueCd documentation here are other related guides:
- Disk Partitioning: Introduction, attributes, tools, GPT disks, How Grub boots, How to repair Grub
- LVM Volume-Manager: Overview, How it works, Booting, Rootfs on LVM, Snapshots and Backups
- Networking on Linux: network configuration, advanced routing, dport routing, load balancing
This project comes with good documentation. Here are the most important chapters:
For the impatient:
- Quick start guide: please read this if this is the first time you are using this system recovery cd.
Chapters about basic usage:
- Downloading and burning: how to download and burn SystemRescueCd
- Booting SystemRescueCd: the boot options you many want to use
- Starting to use the system: how to use SystemRescueCd when it's ready
- Network: configuration and programs: how to configure internet and the network
- System software: description of the linux software which is available on this disc
- Mounting an NTFS partition with full Read-Write support: how to mount your windows partition to see its files
- System boot floppy disks: other low level system tools you may need (e.g.: memory tester)
Chapters about advanced usage:
- How to personalize SystemRescueCd: make a custom SystemRescueCd with your own modifications or software
- How to install SystemRescueCd on a USB-stick: how to install SystemRescueCd on a USB stick
- Easy install SystemRescueCd on harddisk: you can also boot SystemRescueCd directly from the harddisk
- PXE network booting with SystemRescueCd: you can boot SystemRescueCd from the network
- Run your own scripts at start-up with autorun: use SystemRescueCd to run your own scripts
- Manage remote windows or linux servers using SystemRescueCd: administrate remote servers using SystemRescueCd
- Backup data from an unbootable Windows computer: backup your data if your windows is broken
System tools included
- GNU Parted: creates, resizes, moves, copies partitions, and filesystems (and more).
- GParted: GUI implementation using the GNU Parted library.
- Partimage: popular opensource disk image software which works at the disk block level
- ddrescue: Attempts to make a copy of a partition or floppy/Hard Disk/CD/DVD that has hardware errors, optionally filling corresponding bad spots in input with user defined pattern in the copy.
- FSArchiver: flexible archiver that can be used as both system and data recovery software
- File systems tools (for Linux and Windows filesystems): format, resize, and debug an existing partition of a hard disk
- Ntfs3g: enables read/write access to MS Windows NTFS partitions.
- sfdisk: saves / restores partition table (and more).
- Test-disk: tool to check and undelete partition, supports reiserfs, ntfs, fat32, ext2/3 and many others
- Memtest+: to test the memory of your computer (first thing to test when you have a crash or unexpected problems)
- Rsync: very-efficient and reliable program that can be used for remote backups.
- Network tools (Samba, NFS, ping, nslookup, ...): to backup your data across the network
Browse the short system tools page for more details about the most important software included.
Browse the detailed package list for a full list of the packages.
Download updated version released on21/02/2013Download systemrescuecd-x86-3.4.0.iso (402.4 MB)
Download other versions from here